Real-Time High Resolution X-Ray Microscopy (XM)
(Failed conductor in a household appliance.)
What Is It?
Through high-resolution X-ray microscopy, we are able to non-destructively examine the internal structure of samples in real-time,at magnifications up to 1000X.While the internal mechanisms of these samples are usually not visible under other means, XM offers us a tool to watch them in operation.
Why Should I Use It?
Unlike static radiography systems, XM allows the sample under examination to
be positioned in a direction that permits the best view of a feature of interest. The sample is able to be move in the X, Y and Z directions and can also be tilted and rotated. When images are calibrated, radiopacity (ASTM F640) and linear measurements can be made.
What Do I Get Out of It?
Video recordings of switches, relays, and other mechanical or electromechanical devices can be made to understand their inner workings or perform failure analysis.
- Dispersion of fillers polymers
- Delamination in thin films
- Real-time evaluation of electrical and thermal devices
- Real-time evaluation of micro-surgical implements
- Opens/shorts in bond wires
- Bond wire placement
- Loose or Extraneous components in packages
- Construction details
- Deformed internal components
- Micro-fracture detection in materials
- Ball Grid Array (BGA) voiding in solder balls
- Voids or cracks in welds
- Die attach voiding
- Linear measurements
- Inspection of medical products while in sterile packaging
- Clearance between embedded wires